Digital Art. From a Beginner's Perspective.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

The Mandala | Adobe Illustrator Adventures with Anu

It took me four days. My routine was the same for all of the days. Wake up. Walk the dogs. Have breakfast. And when the clock strikes ten, open Illustrator, and select a brush to help me draw the mandala.

I had saved dagubi's tutorial on 'How to Create a Lace Pattern in Adobe Illustrator,' to my Graphic Design Pet Projects Playlist on YouTube and it had already been around ten days since I had saved it.

It was time.

It was time for me to stop putting it away for another day and just watch it and... DO SOMETHING! Mostly because I needed to keep my promise to this blog.

For the uninitiated, this blog should have an article uploaded to it every Saturday. Period. No Excuses. That was the promise I made with this blog in my very first article.

Because: 1. I want to become an Illustrator. 2. I'm weird.

But, as is the case every time when I 'embark' on a new journey of some kind, things seldom go as planned. (I know some of you can relate to it.) And Blue Eye Candy is not an exception.

It's been almost a month since I rambled on something about being 'in love' with flat drawings. My future self always recoils when reading my blog posts. (Hey, future self!) Not a whole lot of you had read my previous article, so it was kind of relieving, to be honest. ('Hey' to those who write something but don't want to read it ever again. Or have it read by the whole wide world. Nobody? Okay.)

___

Thirty minutes is a REALLY long time to be squinting your eyes and watching a tutorial where the tutor is drawing intricate patterns - which, when you try to replicate, turns out looking nothing like it.

But I went through it. For four days. By the time I had completed it, my toenails had grown 2 inches longer and I had forgotten that I was suffocating my derriere. 

And my mandala looked nothing like the one in the tutorial - which can sometimes be a good thing. I always try not to copy a tutorial from A to Z. Instead, I try to make it look different. On purpose. Sometimes it works. And sometimes, it doesn't.

This time around, while creating the mandala, it actually worked! Apart from a few errors here and there, that is. They weren't visible in the final piece, but, oh well, the truth is: 

The more I tried fixing them, the more my mandala started skewing.

So I decided to just embrace all the errors and just...let them be. Because nothing in this world is perfect. So my mandala needn't be; it didn't have to try to become the mandala in the tutorial; it accepted the way it is. It was, for the very first time, happy to be himself. Imperfect and skewed.

Okay, I'll stop.

That was a weird monologue.

___

To those who managed to read all of the above: Congratulations! You get a free video tour of my mandala. Just scroll to the bottom.

To those who just couldn't get through the first few sentences: Congratulations! It' the best decision you've ever made in your life! And you, also, get a free video tour of my mandala! 

Because my mandala needs attention. No matter who or what you are. :D

I know. None of you asked for any of this, but I just had to flaunt my mandala and do a video-shoot for it - I'm sorry - 'him.' We've been calling this guy 'it' all through this article. :O

'Dear Mandala, I give you life. From henceforth, you shall be called Mandy. Mandy the Mandala.'

___

Before this article gets any more weirder, let me just show the thing that you came here for. Let me present to you: The Birth of Mandy. In pictures.

This is how he looks today. He's four days old in this picture. 
'Mandy The Mandala' in all his glory!

This is him when he was just a few hours old.
And the following are pictures of him when he was growing up inside my Adobe Illustrator. (I fed him lot of black and white goop!)











This is him at two days old. His hair started growing haphazardly. So I had to chop it! (He cried a lot that day.)







And as promised to all of you, here is a video of his video-shoot.


___

I hope you enjoyed this article. Share and comment if you liked this episode of 'Adobe Illustrator Adventures with Anu.' 

Next time, I'll be doing something totally out of my comfort zone again. It will be yet another adventure that you wouldn't want to miss!

Let's all take one step closer to our dream by doing something that we love today.

Thanks for reading and Happy November! :)

____________________________________________________________

If you missed my previous posts, click on these links for quick access!

I'm in Love With Drawing Flats!
Photoshopping My Face Five Different Ways
I Made A Book Cover For A Thriller Story I Wrote
I Tried Creating A LOGO For My Blog (And Went Insane)
'Photoshopping' my Dogs
Looking Back: My First Ever Photoshop Drawing
Event Posters Using Photoshop
Hello there!

____________________________________________________________

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Anusuya is passionate about doing work that is meaningful. An engineering graduate based in South India, Anusuya has donned many hats since she left her corporate job to pursue her passion for working in the creative industry. From content writing to teaching English online, from learning the art of baking to learning digital illustration, she has done it all! When she isn't working, she can be seen pampering her pooches in her suburban home.

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews:

Social Media:

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn Email

Followers:

Copyright © Blue Eye Candy | Powered by Blogger
Design by Lizard Themes | Blogger Theme by Lasantha - PremiumBloggerTemplates.com