Digital Art. From a Beginner's Perspective.

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Photoshopping My Face Five Different Ways


I have been giving love only to Photoshop for the past few weeks while Illustrator has taken the back seat. Next week, let me bring you something using Illustrator.

But for now, I want to show you what Photoshop and I did together for the past two days. (We stared into each other's eyes until my eyes dried out, but that's not the point here XD)

I played around with my own face and the end results were...pretty good. (I'm no expert, but my beginner's eyes were fascinated by the results!)

I used a close-up pic of my face with a crocheted cap (made by my mum). It's the only decent photo I could find of myself on my C drive. The only other option was a passport size photo where I just stare into oblivion in a black dress.

So, the obvious choice was this one with the cap.

I did something to my face in photoshop
Well...

Let's start with the one that didn't turn out quite the way I expected it to.

1) Transforming My Face Into A Digital Painting

I referred to this tutorial to create a digital painting effect.

And this is how it turned out.

Digital Painting Effect

I know.

It doesn't look good.

At all.

Something's off. But, boy did the face of Taylor Swift in the tutorial look amazing. Unfortunately, I couldn't achieve the same results. Maybe it's my face, or the lighting, or both. Perhaps I'll try again next time with a different photo.

Let's move on to the next one.

2) Cartooning My Face

The next tutorial that I happened to chance upon was this one.

The tutorial said that it's an easy way to give one's photos a cartoon effect. But, I struggled anyway.

I passed my photo through Photoshop's 'adjustment layers,' and 'filter gallery.' And I did the outlines using the pen tool as suggested in the tutorial.

This is how it turned out.

Cartoon Effect
What do you think? Does it look...frightening?

It actually does to me. XD

Moving on to the next one...

3) The Watercolor Effect

This tutorial was an interesting one to attempt, but I just couldn't figure out if I liked the end result or not.

It isn't that bad, but my inner critic kept telling me that it looks terrible! I kinda like it though. But would I try it again? Maybe....maybe not....I really don't know...

Perhaps a little tweak here and there would have done justice to this effect. What d'ya say?

Watercolor Effect

The next one is probably the one I liked the most out of this bunch.

Shall we have a look at it?

4) Creating a Pencil Sketch Effect!

I started out with traditional drawing during my initial years. I would just sit and draw in a corner with a pencil and paper.

So, being able to get the same black and white effect on my photo using Photoshop's filters was AMAZINGGG!!! :D

I could never draw like this on paper in a million years. And that's why I'm really thankful for this tutorial.

Pencil Sketch Effect

I'll definitely try this one on a couple of my future photos. If I take one that is in the next few months. :D

Let's look at the final one.

5) Using Camera Raw Filter and Adjustment Curves

So, the last one is simply a technique for enhancing photos that I learned in this tutorial. My face definitely looks a lot more lively here compared to the original photo.

I might actually use this technique for all of my future profile photos. ^_^

Enhanced Photo using Camera Raw Filter & Curves

That's about it for this post.

Next time, I'll bring you something from Illustrator. Should I try this one?

---

Hope you enjoyed this trip looking at my potato face. :D Which one did you like? Comment below!

Byeee!

I am potato's doppelganger

____________________________________________________________

If you missed my previous posts, click on these links for quick access!

I Made A Book Cover For A Thriller Story I Wrote
I Tried Creating A LOGO For My Blog (And Went Insane)
'Photoshopping' my Dogs
Looking Back: My First Ever Photoshop Drawing
Event Posters Using Photoshop
Hello there!

____________________________________________________________





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
Anusuya is passionate about doing work that is meaningful. An engineering graduate based in South India, Anusuya has donned many hats since she left her corporate job to pursue her passion for working in the creative industry. From content writing to teaching English online, from learning the art of baking to learning digital illustration, she has done it all! When she isn't working, she can be seen pampering her pooches in her suburban home.

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews:

Social Media:

Twitter Facebook LinkedIn Email

Followers:

Copyright © Blue Eye Candy | Powered by Blogger
Design by Lizard Themes | Blogger Theme by Lasantha - PremiumBloggerTemplates.com